Wednesday, August 3, 2011

The Whole Snack

I joined Weight Watchers in February for the second time in my life. In my twenties, when I was still in a healthy weight zone, I joined to try to slim down my problem areas. Now, twenty years and two children later, I have almost 60 pounds to lose. So far, I'm down 14.

In our meeting yesterday, we discussed healthy and easy choices for snacks. It got me thinking about all the things I love to eat that are whole foods and, therefore, are healthier and fill you up a little longer. Also, a snack should be quick to grab or prepare (when I'm peckish, I want it now!), so these ideas have only two to three ingredients to put together.



Fruit:

Banana ice cream (Mash a banana with a sprinkling of brown sugar or cinnamon or cocoa)
Chocolate-dipped banana (and frozen), strawberries, cherries
Smoothie (blend together 6 oz. of yogurt, 1 banana, ice, and your favorite fruit)
Frozen grapes

Nuts and cheese:

Almonds and cherries
Cream cheese or goat cheese rolled in chopped/ground walnuts, almonds or pistachios
Cream cheese, goat cheese or neufchatel softened and rolled into a log or ball(s). Roll the cheese in chopped nuts and chill. Mix 2 oz. greek yogurt into the cheese for more flavor. Add vegetable soup mix and/or spinach for even more!

Veggies:

Pico de gallo (This is my favorite recipe. Nothing but healthy there.)
Guacamole (Add 1/2 mashed avocado to the recipe above. Good fat, but don't eat too much!)
Crudites with light ranch dressing...carrots, celery, cherry tomatoes, mushrooms, radishes, cukes. Yum!

Other:


PB&Chocolate Spoons (1 tsp. of peanut butter dipped in melted chocolate and refrigerated)





No comments:

Post a Comment